In the fast-paced world of two-wheelers, where convenience and efficiency often take centre stage, the importance of safety cannot be overstated. One of the fundamental aspects of rider safety is the choice of an appropriate helmet for bike rides. Beyond being a legal requirement and a common-sense precaution, helmets play a pivotal role in safeguarding riders from potential accidents and severe head injuries. This guide explores the key considerations in selecting the fitting helmet, emphasizing not only the protective aspect but also the relevance of safety measures like third-party bike insurance, renewing two-wheeler insurance online, utilizing a two-wheeler insurance premium calculator, and incorporating a personal accident cover in bike insurance.
Why Helmets Matter:
The statistics from the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) over a decade highlight a concerning 17.3% rise in two-wheeler occupant passing away in overall traffic fatalities. Wearing a motorcycle helmet is crucial for several reasons:
- Avoids Brain Trauma: Helmets significantly reduce the risk of brain damage in crashes, as the World Health Organisation states, potentially saving lives.
- Protects Jaw and Eyes: Full-face helmets offer comprehensive protection, preventing tooth loss jaw injuries, and shielding the nose and eyes from harm.
- Reduces Wind and Ambient Noise: Full-face helmets are a barrier against external noise, ensuring a safer and more comfortable riding experience.
How Helmets Shield Your Face And Head:
A properly fitted helmet with an adjustable strap holds firm on the rider’s head, providing transparent vision shields to protect the nose and eyes.
Choosing Your Motorcycle Helmet:
Selecting the fitting helmet involves considering several crucial elements:
- Understand Head Size and Helmet Shape: A helmet that doesn’t fit correctly poses risks. Measure your head’s circumference and consider the shape (round, oval, egg-shaped, or earth-shaped) internal padding determines.
- Cosiness: Comfort equates to safety. Try on helmets and ensure the interior feels cushioned, cheek pads are snug, chin straps don’t chafe, and there are no pressure points.
- Visor Clarity: Opt for clear or anti-scratch and anti-fog visors to ensure optimal visibility. Check for distortions, especially at the edges.
- Safety Requirements: All helmets must bear the Indian Standards Institute (ISI) mark to be legally used in India. Additional certifications like DOT and ECE 22.05 indicate adherence to international safety standards.
As we navigate the myriad options in the world of motorcycle helmets, the importance of this choice transcends mere style or comfort. It is a testament to our commitment to personal safety and responsible riding. Beyond the protective shell, the helmet serves as a symbolic shield against unforeseen circumstances, much like the safeguards offered by third-party bike insurance, the ease of renewing two-wheeler insurance online, the financial foresight provided by a two-wheeler insurance premium calculator, and the added security of a personal accident cover in bike insurance.*
The ideal insurance policy protects you and your vehicle from the results of damages that can occur while riding. There are several types of bike insurance. Choose the one that is ideal for you.
Ultimately, donning a helmet is not just a legal mandate; it is a conscious decision to prioritize one’s well-being on the open road.
* Standard T&C Apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.